"We must reject calls for color blindness. That diminishes and washes out God's gift of diversity. We should be color amazed, recognizing the strength that comes with all our many colors. God as creator made all of us in God's image."- Rev Elizabeth Eaton, Presiding Bishop ELCA
This is the “mission and vision” of Holy Trinity’s Racial Justice Ministry Team. We understand this to be a living and working document where there is room and space for this to evolve, learn and grow.
Mission (Who We Are)
As a congregation, we stand for “Loving God, Loving Neighbor.” We are a church that belongs to Christ, where there is a place for everyone. As such, the Racial Justice
Ministry Team commits to:
- growing in our understanding of systemic racism and its consequences;
- confronting racism in ourselves, our congregation and our world;
- becoming anti-racist;
- witnessing and leading change within and beyond our congregation;
- advocating for justice and fairness for all people.
We have taken our lead on this Mission Statement from the ELCA’s Social Statement: Freed in Christ: Race, Ethnicity, and Culture (1993).
Vision (Where We Are Going): The vision of the HTLC Racial Justice Ministry Team includes:
- A safe, courageous and inclusive community where all are welcome and valued;
- Sponsorship of ongoing educational forums leading to greater understanding of race and culture;
- Sharing in service, music, fellowship and food with sister and brother Black Indigenous People of Color (BIPOC) congregations;
- Individual introspection and communal discussion;
- Involvement in community action which challenges and changes underlying structures that support an unjust status quo, disenfranchisement, and privilege.
ELCA RACIAL JUSTICE RESOURCES
Welcome to the Racial Justice resource page. This resource page provides you a visual way to explore and download the many types of resources we have available. Learn More >>>